Playgrounds

Friday, March 11, 2011

I'm apparently a lesbian

I suppose that title shouldn't quite read like that, since I married a girl six days ago.  But that still is how it seems.  On a bus today, on our honeymoon, we chatted briefly with a middle-aged couple, both women, about the weather and things like that.  It occurred to me that I'm in "their category."

I've often said that I'm a straight girl with a girlfriend (or rather now wife).  I don't say that to denigrate lesbians or any other non-straight group of people in the least; I just seem to be, well, mainstream.  Not quite white-picket-fence, but close.  I always figured I'd grow up and marry a boy, and instead I fell in love with a girl.  It took awhile to get used to the idea, but she's most definitely more wonderful than a boy.

And so, according to society, I am now in a different category of people, be it the LGBT one, the marriage-destroying one, or the abnormal one.  I don't feel any different.  I feel pretty normal, actually: married, honeymooning, in love, the usual.  Also per usual, rambling, after a very long yet wonderful day on my feet.  I'm not sure if my thoughts are coherent, but it's nothing a nice warm bath can't fix.

1 comment: