Playgrounds

Friday, June 3, 2011

Bafflement

I still can't wrap my mind around the argument that same sex parents are depriving children of their father (or mother).
If there are two (or more) people madly in love with and working hard to protect and teach the kid, how is that bad?
Do stats on opposite sex parents not matter at all, because I know plenty of people who wish they had been deprived of their father or mother.
(I'm ranting, I know.  I can argue both sides of this issue; I was raised a good Pentecostal girl.)
Seeing lines like "the real victims are the children crying for their lost fathers" makes me want to vomit.  Once I get past that, it just baffles me.
I grew up with two mothers and two fathers, in different states.
Any combination of those parents could have raised me well.
The way in which I most benefited from having more than one mom and one dad is that it gave me different perspectives and outlooks.  That is indeed valuable, and can be provided by anyone close to the child - regardless of sex or even parental status.

I have a friend raising her son alone.  Trust me when I say that is much better than her raising her son with his father in the picture.  I'm not worried about him.  He's surrounded by love, of many genders.  Isn't that what matters?

Humans aren't formulaic.  One man + one woman /= one happy, well-adjusted child.  And anything other than that formula does not automatically equal a traumatized kid.

Because I can tell you now, there's no way in hell our baby will be disadvantaged by all the awesome love and affection that will be everywhere.

1 comment:

  1. If you're looking for sense in their argument then you're wasting your time. It isn't there. It's a projection of their own bigotry and nothing more. In essence, what they're saying is "I believe that homosexuals are inherently bad people with a skewed view of the world, and having two (or more) raise a child together will twist that child with their clearly deviant worldview."

    They're full of crap of course, and the actual data makes this clear. However, it's a sad fact that even a mountain of verifiable evidence rarely convinces someone who has drawn their conclusions based entirely on emotion. :-(

    So, is this baby still hypothetical/planned, or are you trying to tell us something? ;-)

    ReplyDelete