Playgrounds

Monday, July 25, 2011

Chew more

Patrick is still not chewing.  I just got off the phone with his mom, who called to talk about it and so we'd be on the same page.  It's not something he does for her; he has other quirks for his parents.

This morning, he wouldn't finish chewing his breakfast.  So I offered laundry - they love putting clothes in the dryer, and used to fight over turning it on so much that I introduced 'closing the door' as a second job (it's definitely not as coveted, but reduces the fighting).  No go.  Lilly and I did the laundry, to the tune of Patrick's sulk and throwing his milk on the floor.  Then I tried offering helping load the van, since I'd promised Lilly a playground trip.  No go.  Finally, I said we were leaving, but that he couldn't play until his mouth was empty; he'd have to sit on a bench at the park.

An hour later, we left the park.  He never played.  When we got home, I made him spit the bite out, then put him in time out.  I was so frustrated.

Lunch: I had to threaten to put him down for nap early, and go so far as to take him up, put him in his crib, and leave him.  Three minutes later, after ferocious yelling, he started chewing and came back downstairs.  I had to nag him the rest of the meal.

Tomorrow: time limits.  I will try the bribery route, but if that doesn't work, he just won't eat.  We have gymnastics and have to leave at a certain time.  He might be cranky (which punishes me...) but it will be his own fault that he's hungry.  I am over this.

No comments:

Post a Comment