Playgrounds

Monday, December 19, 2011

Reflecting

There's a green tunnel that lives in our car, and occasionally comes out at the twins - much to their delight.  Now V also has a blue tunnel in the trunk; it, along with many boxes and bins, stays there for her job.  Today the kids were playing with the green tunnel (due to my continuing sinus headache), and I texted V that I should get out the blue one and really blow their minds.  She didn't realize that we were already playing with the green one, and texted me back "Please play with the green tunnel instead."

Now, I'm not feeling well, and after ready that text, I got a little miffed.  It sounded condescending.  It sounded politely commanding.  Who is she to tell me that, in that way?  I realized I was getting upset with her, and it would be evident in later texts; since we try to keep the most communication possible, I figured that I'd better tell her how I was feeling.  Had she jut said "I'd rather you not use my work stuff," I thought, I'd be just fine.  She was just insensitive.

Then I realized that my sensitivity levels were off.  She wasn't insensitive; I was oversensitive (I'm sure the astute readers of my blog have realized this by now).  I was quickly getting annoyed over seven words sent via text message.  If I mentioned it to her, in the name of better communication, it would cause a few moments of tension - unnecessarily - and possibly taint some of the rest of the day.

So I got over it.  It was a little thing, yes.  Looking back, it was an even littler thing.  But it's the little things that make for a successful relationship, no?

2 comments:

  1. It is the little things, for sure. After the party comes the cleanup, and being cordial about that is what decides a marriage, IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I can now safely say that I was hiding a Christmas present for her in my trunk under that tunnel. XD

    ReplyDelete